The great passion for music and drama that distinguishes the inhabitants of the province of Macerata has a special expression in the beautiful historical theaters. Made by the best architects of the period the theaters are true jewels of art and refinement and provide an important cultural itinerary.
Lauro Rossi Theater: It is one of the city’s architectural jewel. Conceived in 1765 by the will of a group of 46 local noblemen, it was constructed in nine years from 1769 and 1772 by the architect Antonio Galli, also known as “ the Bibiena”. It is located in the main square of the city, close to the town hall. It has a characteristic bell-shaped with a triple order of tilt boxes framed by pillars, the fourth order was later converted into a circle gallery. The parapets of the eight stage-boxes are painted in faux marble and decorated with balusters in relief. The project was made by Cornelio Felici and the paintings by Giulio Lazzarelli. In 1833, according to the designs of architect Giacomo Tonelli it was rebuilt and enlarged. The hall has an elegant and original idea of a city in the theatre. In 1884 it was named after the musician and author of melodrama Lauro Rossi who was born in Macerata (1812-1885). He was the director of the conservatoires of Milan and Naples. Restored in 1989, it has a capacity of 550 seats.
Theater Lauro Rossi ph. 0733-233508
Distance Macerata – Treia: 17 km; travel time 24 minutes
Persiani Theater: It was the gonfalonier Monaldo Leopardi who strongly wanted the construction of the theatre. Inspired by modern theatres, and built according to the plan of Tommaso Brandoni, the theatre was inaugurated in 1840 with the opera "Beatrice di Tenda" by Vincenzo Bellini. The hall is shaped like a horseshoe with three rows of boxes and the gallery. The architraved proscenium is supported by decorated binate pilasters ending in modillion corbels. The interior decoration is different for each order of boxes and is made of gilded plaster. The ceiling medallions represent Alfieri, Metastasio, Goldoni and Guido d'Arezzo. On the second floor of the theatre in the Hall of Thirty is hosted a museum dedicated to Beniamino Gigli, which collects costumes, musical scores, documents, records and other memories of the great tenor who performed Tosca and Boheme in the theatre. In 1898, on the occasion of the first centenary of the birth of Giacomo Leopardi, the theatre was dedicated to fellow citizen Giuseppe Persiani, musician, violinist and composer of international fame born in Recanati. In the twentieth century, the theatre was used for theatrical performances and as a cinema. The works of renovation began in 1999 and finished in 2003. It was inaugurated on 31 March 2004.
Persiani Theater ph. 071-7579445
Distance Recanati – Macerata: 21km; travel time 28 minutes
Giuseppe Verdi Theater: the old seventeenth-century theatre of the City of Pollenza underwent a process of renovation in 1873, based on a project by Ireneo Aleandri, but the works proceeded very slowly because of numerous uncertainties. In fact, in 1879 it was decided to increase the number of boxes from 13 to 15. Because of his advanced age , Aleandri was replaced by Francesco Vespigiani who completed the works. The theatre was inaugurated on July 31st 1883 with the work of Doninzetti "La Favorita." It has two rows of 15 boxes with band rails, while the gallery designed as a third order was made like a single balcony. The theater is built with a horseshoe shape according to nineteenth-century standards. The proscenium arch is supported by two paired pilasters in composite order. the ovals in the vault represent the allegories of comedy, dance, music and tragedy and have been painted by Pietro Giovanetti from Sant’Angelo in Pontano. The atrium and foyer have decorative elements designed and realized in 1928 by Giuseppe Fummilume from Pollenza. It has a capacity of 254 seats.
Giuseppe Verdi Theater ph. 998-8471210 0733-549936
Distance Pollenza - Mogliano: 10 km; travel time 15 minutes
Apollo Theatre: The city theatre was built by Luciano Luciani, son of designer Francesco Luciani, on April 21, 1838 by the will of the oldest noble families of Mogliano. The theater was inaugurated on December 26, 1844 with the work "Clare" by Rosembergh. The facade was designed by Luciano Luciani and overlooks one of the squares of the city. The building has a horseshoe-shaped plant with 38 boxes arranged in three levels, built by Feliciano Seri. The curtain was painted by Bonarelli and depicts on two levels Hercules killing the Hydra and the Garden of the Hesperides. For this reason, the theater was first called Theater of the Hesperides. In 1880 the sculptor Luca Seri inserted his bas-reliefs in the four pillars of the proscenium and Luigi Fontana painted images of Apollo and the Graces on the vault . All around he added medallions with the faces of many famous musicians. Since then, the theatre became known as Apollo and two additional medallions were placed over the gateway to the audience. In 1907, necessary renovation works took place, and the theatre opened again two years later with the representation of Don Pasquale by Donizetti. In 1983 the free use of the property was given to the city on the burden of perpetual ordinary and extraordinary maintenance. After being closed for more than 20 years for a skillful renovation work, everyone can admire the beauty of this structure.
Apollo Theater ph. 0733-559825
Distance Mogliano – Tolentino: 18 km; travel time 20 minutes
Piermarini Theater: At the beginning of the nineteenth century the city felt an increasing requirement for a proper theatrical structure. Around 1805 the design of the theater has been entrusted to the famous architect Giuseppe Piermarini (1734-1809), author of the Theater alla Scala in Milan. He prepared a theatrical form system with a horseshoe plant and four tiers of boxes. After the death of the designer, the building was carried out by master builders Domenico Belli and Francesco Fontana, which distorted the original design. The theater was opened in 1812 with the mise-en-scene of three melodramas: Ser Marcantonio by Stefano Pavesi, Oh that's Original by Giovanni Simone Mayr and The Self-Styled Philosopher by Giuseppe Mosca. In 1849, the architect Vincenzo Ghinelli carried out a deep restoration. He extended the proscenium, redrew the lines of the boxes, changed the access ramps. The works were completed in 1852, and the theater reopened with the performance of Luisa Miller by Verdi. Another restoration was carried out in 1873 with the destruction of the Piermarini’s vault and the substitution of the fourth order with a circle gallery. Ceiling decorations made by Tito Boccolini have taken the place of those by Spiridione Mattei. The reopening took place in 1879. Recently it went through) a new restoration and reopened to the public in 1995. During the work remains of Roman building have been found and a route has been set for visiting the archaeological findings. It has a capacity of 411 seats.
Piermarini Theater ph. 0737-781830
Teatro della Vittoria: Nel 1829, dopo diversi tentativi infruttuosi, si costituisce un Condominio Teatrale per la costruzione di una sala pubblica per gli spettacoli all’interno del Palazzo del Popolo. Il progetto è affidato all’ingegner Luigi Fedeli di Sarnano e i lavori hanno inizio nel 1831. Le decorazioni sono del pittore bolognese Gaetano Ferri, mentre il sipario, che raffigura la “Vittoria Alata” è opera del pittore Rossi. La sala teatrale viene inaugurata nel 1834 ed ha una pianta a ferro di cavallo con tre ordini di palchi. Il boccascena presenta due mensoloni che poggiano su paraste corinzie in finto marmo. Nella volta vi è un elegante disegno neoclassico a velario romano con lunette dipinte a trompe l’oeil. Capienza di 150 posti.
Informazioni per visite: tel 0733 659923
Municipal Theatre: In 1801, the task of drawing up the project was given to the architect Carlo Rusca from Treia that was supported by the architect Giuseppe Lucatelli. The works started on the area of the demolished Church of St. Martin and ended in 1815 with the construction of the main building, the stage and the audience. The second stage of the work ended in 1817 with the construction of the boxes and the atrium. The theater has a horseshoe-shaped plant with three levels of boxes and the gallery. The choice of the cylindrical lunettes to join the last order of boxes with the plate ceiling was apparently inspired to Rusca by Lucatelli. The building was inaugurated in 1821 and the decorations of the stages were completed in 1828 by the painter Francesco Falconi In 1844 the Roman painter Enrico Copparoni, Francesco Podesti’s disciple, painted the stage curtain inspired by the framework of Minardi "Corrado of Antiocchia to the siege of Montecchio”. The facade has a decidedly classical style, it is squared surrounded by six Ionic pilasters with capitals and has a first level with the portal and four kiosk windows. The second level has five windows with architraves and the attic is dominated by six braces in Istria stones surmounted by the same number of spheres. On the cornice of the facade is affixed the Apollini et Musis. it has a seating capacity of 270.
Municipal Theatre ph. 0733-217385
Distance Treia – Pollenza: 7 km; travel time 11 minutes
Nicola Vaccaj Theater: In 1787 the city council ratified a "plan" for financing and building a public theatre. The initiative of the construction of the building was directly taken from the city council, which became the owner without establishing a theatre condominium. The Council also set the basic features of the new theater: three orders of boxes, and a fourth order commonly called "pigeon-house". The task to design and decor the theater was given to architect and painter Giuseppe Lucatelli , who completed the work in 1795. Lucatelli , inspired by Vanvitelli and Piermarini , realized a sober and harmonious facade that develops horizontally with a molded shelf broken by three entrances, receiving an upward momentum through the upper hemicycle. The interior has a horseshoe-shaped plant with three rows of boxes and the gallery. The three orders are characterised by large pilasters with Corinthian capitals. Another distinguishing feature is the large umbrella vault that , starting from the lunettes of the gallery , is gathered to the MOTIF of the large central plaster medallion. The theater was opened on September 10, 1797 during the feast of St. Nicholas , after the signature of the peace treaty between Napoleon Bonaparte and the Vatican. For the inauguration were represented the oratories of two important musicians from the Neapolitan school operating in the Marche: Nicola Zingarelli, Giuseppe Giordani said "Giordanello", choirmaster of the Cathedral of Fermo. The restored theatre was reopened in 1985 by a lyrical instrumental concert with the soprano Cecilia Gasdia. It has a capacity of 478 seats.
Theatre Nicola Vaccaj ph. 0733-97079
Distance Tolentino - Matelica : 28 km; travel time 33 minutes
Do not miss