In the Middle Ages the province of Macerata was a land of knights, ladies and noble families, frequently fighting among themselves Evidence of this glorious past are the fortresses built to defend the territories and the well preserved castles where the visitor will relive their former glory.
The Borgesca Rock was built by Valentino Borgia in 1503 in order to subjugate the inhabitants of Camerino during an interruption of Da Varano’s domination. It was later reinforced by Giovanni Maria da Varano, restored by Guidobaldo Della Rovere and both by the Farnese family and the Church. For safety reasons Pope Clement VII deposited there the treasure of the Holy House of Loreto. Today, only the round towers and the large square tower remain. Not far from the city center you can visit the Varano fortress. According to some papers dated in the thirteenth century it was built on a sharp cliff of oblique layers and located above the valley below. It was partly restored in the fourteenth century by Giovanni da Varano. Today the remains of the Rock are dominated by a tall tower and after having been restored are used as a site for exhibitions of local crafts.
Borgesca Rock ph. 0737-632534
Varano Rock ph. 0737-464004 - 3383828055
Distance Camerino – Caldarola: 20 km; travel time 15 minutes
Rocca di Urbisaglia
The ROCK OF URBISAGLIA: The town of Tolentino ruled over Urbisaglia from 1296 to 1566 without significant interruptions. It is at the turn of the XVI century that the fortress of built. It has a trapezoidal shape with four towers at the corners while the SW front is wider than the NE one. During the building Roman ruins were enclosed and the base of the main tower of a fortification dating back to 1200. Inside , the fortress is equipped with vents, drains and bomber for the defense.
Rock of Urbisaglia ph. 0733-202942 – 0733-506566
The Castle of Lanciano is placed in a large and impressive park. Originally it was a fortress built by Giovanni da Varano in 1382 to protect the north-eastern border of Camerino. In 1489 it was transformed into a noble residence by Giovanna Malatesta, wife of Giulio Cesare da Varano. Thereafter the property passed to different families and finally in 1754 it was bought by the family Bandini. The Marquis Alessandro Bandini renovated and expanded the complex, enriching it with furniture, paintings and objects of the family. Very important for their decorations are the gallery on the first floor and the Festival Hall.
Lanciano Castle ph. 335-7589251 - 0737641663
Distance Castelraimondo – Camerino: 12 km; travel time 15 minutes
Pallotta Castle is in a location overlooking the town) and it is already mentioned in some ninth-century documents. It underwent several dynastic events and in 1270 it was partially destroyed after a fight between San Severino and Camerino. After a short domination under San Severino it passed to Dukes Da Varano. In 1450 the castle was entrusted by the Pope to the Counts Pallotta and in 1592 it was transformed from a military structure into a noble mansion by the cardinal Evangelista Pallotta. The castle has hosted many personalities including Popes and Queens and many rooms still preserve their original furnishings. The castle enshrines a collection of weapons ranging from the fifteenth to the eighteenth century, and some carriages with their trappings of the fourteenth and sixteenth centuries.
Pallotta Castle ph. 0733-905467 3477974639
Distance Caldarola – Tolentino: 10 km; travel time 12 minutes
RANCIA CASTLE: In the twelfth century on the site existed a "grancia" (hence the name Rancia) of the Cistercian monks of the Abbey of Fiastra. In 1354 it was transformed in military fortification on behalf of the Da Varano of Camerino, who became the owners of the Cistercian building. The castle has a quadrangular shape and is dominated by a high tower on the north west side, whereas another lower tower is located on the south east corner. The walls are largely embattled and equipped for the defense with trap doors, louvers and bomber. Inside there still are the guardhouse, the stables and the house of the lord. Over the centuries, many battles have taken place around the castle, the most famous occurred in 1815 between the troops of Gioacchino Murat and the Austrian army.
Rancia Castle ph. 0733-9011 0733-234807
Distance Tolentino – Urbisaglia: 18 km; travel time 17 minutes
Do not miss