It is a little community that rises up on a high ground at 473 meters above the sea level between the Ete Morto river valley and the Tenna valley in a good panoramic position. The first part of the name clearly recalls San Michele Arcangelo ( Saint Michael the Archangel), a saint who was loved by Longobards which appears on the town emblem; the second part of the name comes from the collocation of the town in Pontano gastald, a sort of administrative district made by the Longobards of the Spoleto Dukedom. Around the half of the 11th century the walls were built and Sant’Angelo took the appearance of a castle that partially still preserves today. After having tried to be an independent municipality, the town became one of the main castles of Fermo of which territory it would belong until the Napoleonic period when it was annexed to the Tronto Department. In 1860, when the Fermo province had to be suppressed, it became part of Macerata province. Of the medieval period it preserves parts of castle walls, but all the entrance gates of the town got disappeared. It is the home town of the thaumaturge S. Nicola from Tolentino, as during all his life he stayed in the Augustinian convent of the town.
The visitAt the bottom of the main square, there is the roman Collegiate church entitled to Santissimo Salvatore, built in the 12th century. Recently restored, inside it is divided by pillars into three naves and still has the evocative crypt, as wide as the church itself, with clay-brick arches and groin vaults. The presbytery is peculiarly inclined to the left in order to remind, according to the tradition, the inclination of Christ’s head on the cross. Inside it, on the right fourth pillar, there is a fresco, maybe painted by the Salimbenis circle from San Severino, describing the Lady with the Child. On top of the town, on a panoramic square, there is the Augustinian Convent with S. Nicola’s church built during the second half of the 15th century above the pre-existing church dedicated to San Agostino and restored at the end of the 18th century. Inside it, you can visit the frescoed S. Nicola Chapel and excellent works of wooden carving made during the first decades of the 17th century. Of the S. Nicola’s birthplace there are only the basis, above which it was realized a little garden with a bronze statue of the Saint in the middle. If you like walking you can reach S. Maria dell Pietà church ( Holy Mary of Mercy), also called Chiesa delle Pietre ( Stones church), with an elegant cloister supported by three columns, which preserves a valuable fresco representing the Madonna della Misercordia ( Madonna of Mercy) of the 15th century; Naturally beautiful are also Collechiarino with nice oak trees and Fontanelle where, according to tradition, S. Nicola used to go to pray before moving to Tolentino. It is very important the Premio Nazionale di Poesia (a poetry award) “Una poesia per l’infanzia” (lit. “ a poem for childood”) that takes place every year.
Do not missTown Theatre N.A. Angeletti of 1883, with its peculiar architectural shape of Italian theatres, that inside had decorations and painting made by the artist Pietro Giovannetti. It has been condemned for 40 years, but then it was restored and from the 2007 it can be used again.
Comune di Sant’Angelo in Pontano
+39 0733 661602
Via Roma, 49 - 62020