The town is famous for being the birthplace of Giacomo Leopardi, one of the most important poets in the history of Italian literature. The town’s origins are obscure, but a few necropoleis of the old Piceni population have been found near the historical centre and attest to its pre-Roman origin. The long and narrow shaped centre lies on three hills (Monte Volpino, Monte San Vito, Monte Morello), and is completely enclosed by medieval walls. In 1229 the Emperor Frederick II gave permission to build a harbor along the coast on the Adriatic sea (today Porto Recanati): the grant is housed in the Museum of Villa Colloredo Mels.
The visitPiazza del Sabato del Villaggio, with Palazzo Leopardi, where the poet was born in 1798 and where his descendants still live, preserves its 19th-century appearance. Inside you can visit the famous library where the poet spent his days studying during his childhood and where his books and objects are kept. In the same piazza you can find the church of Santa Maria of Monte Morello where the poet was baptized, and the house where Silvia, to whom the poet dedicated the ode “A Silvia”, lived. Along the street leading to the main square, you can see the house of Adelaide Antici, Giacomo Leopardi's mother, which dates back to the 15th century; the church of San Vito with a two-colour brick façade by Luigi Vanvitelli; the church of Sant'Agostino of 1270, the bell-tower of which is the famous tower of the “Solitary sparrow”; the theatre “Giuseppe Persiani” of 1840 which houses today the Museum Beniamino Gigli, with objects, documents and theatre costumes that belonged to the famous tenor born in Recanati. Piazza Giacomo Leopardi, designed at the end of the 19th century in celebration of the hundredth anniversary of the poet’s birth, is dominated by the Torre del Borgo from the 13th century, the Palazzo Comunale and the church of San Domenico, originally Romanesque but redone during the 18th century, with an elegant istrian stone portal (1481). Near the piazza, the church of Sant'Anna houses a reproduction of the Holy House of Loreto. The Cathedral of San Flaviano has its façade incorporated into the Bishop's Palace which is today the Museo Diocesano, rich in paintings (14th and 15th centuries), sculptures, archaeological finds and precious objects. The Museum of Villa Colloredo Mels presents various sections ranging from archaeological to modern art. The most important room contains a few masterpieces by Lorenzo Lotto (1480-1556): the Annunciazione, the San Giacomo, the polyptych of San Domenico and the Trasfigurazione. The Museum of the Emigration shows the history of this important phenomenon of our region. The Museum of Guitar, housed in the Palazzo Comunale, was established in 2004 thanks to a collaboration between the Municipality and Eko, a famous local factory of musical instruments.
Do not missThe very suggestive path to the “Solitary Hill” offers a panoramic view of the Potenza valley and of the hills towards Macerata and the Sibillini Mountains. Lorenzo Lotto's works of art, housed in the Museum of Villa Colloredo Mels, are an important testimony of the presence in Le Marche of this artist, who was born in Venice and died in Loreto in 1556.
+39 071 981471