Porto Recanati is a welcoming tourist town that has earned the European “Blue Flag” award several times, in acknowledgement of its vocation as a seaside resort. Its history is closely linked to that of the nearby town of Recanati. Indeed, in 1229, Frederick II granted Recanati the possibility of availing itself of a port and a castle on the Adriatic Sea, in order to trade and protect itself from the attacks of the Saracens. The Castrum Maris was therefore built and the village has started to develop around it since the 16th century. In 1893, Porto Recanati won its independence from Recanati with a royal decree signed by King Umberto I.
The visitThe town centre, organized around a rather regular pattern, seems to converge around the Castello Svevo, whose tower, reaching 25 metres of height, stands out against the little houses of the centre. All along the surrounding walls there is a patrol path, protected by a one-metre-high parapet, with embrasures positioned at regular intervals, for the control and defence from above. The castle’s courtyard is nowadays used as an arena for musical and theatrical performances, which gladden and enrich the summertime of Porto Recanati. The arena is named after the famous tenor Beniamino Gigli, who was born in Recanati. Inside the Castello Svevo, in the upper rooms, it is possible to visit the Municipal Art Gallery dedicated to Attilio Moroni, the renowned scholar and collector born in Porto Recanati, and dean of the University of Macerata for many years, who donated his private collection to his fellow citizens. The gallery hosts important 16th-17th century works of art from the Marche region and 19th century major works from all over Italy (De Nittis, Soffici, Mancini, Irolli, Casorati, Brindisi). Inside the fortified tower of the Castle is located the permanent Archeological Exhibition “Divi & Dei”, which hosts sculpture artefacts found in the Roman town of Potentia, founded in 184 B.C. and inhabited until the 7th century A. D. Since 1980, archaeological excavations have been carried out systematically in the southern area of Porto Recanati, where once was the Roman town of Potentia. The excavations have brought to light the remains of the forum, with the indoor market and some mosaic-flooring dwellings. In the proximity lies the Abbey of Santa Maria in Potenza, which is now incorporated within a private villa. The abbey was founded in the 11th century by the Crucifer monks, who used to accommodate and host the infirm, pilgrims and travellers.
Do not missEnclosed within the wonderful frame of the Mount Conero, Porto Recanati is the perfect place to spend a relaxing and peaceful holiday: beaches are placid, protected by several breakwaters and gently brushed by a quiet sea. In the beach resorts you can find playgrounds for children, snack areas and restaurants, and carry out aquatic sports. The pedestrian seafront is the best place for healthy promenades and let kids play freely; cycle paths give you the chance of enchanting riding through nature and nights are delighted by the numerous clubs and discos of the coastal area.
Comune di Porto Recanati
+39 071 759971
Corso Matteotti, 230