Posto su un’altura a 272 metri s.l.m., è uno dei piccoli centri delle Marche che meglio ha conservato le testimonianze della sua ricca storia, con le mura The town is 272 m above sea level. It is one of Marche’s small towns that best preserve testimonies of their past: the city walls, four gates and many important buildings. Montelupone has recently been awarded the “Orange Flag” seal of quality by Touring Club Italiano; it has also earned the title of “Borghi più belli d’Italia” [“One of the most beautiful villages in Italy”]. This is the town where Gabriele Galantara was born in 1867. He was a caricaturist and an illustrator known as Ratalanga: he is considered one of the most important caricaturists of the 20th century and he worked for humour magazines such as L'Asino and Marc'Aurelio.
The visitIn the beautiful square, you find the 14th century Palazzo del Podestà (also known as Palazzo dei Priori) of great architectural interest. It has a loggia with five arches and five double lancet windows. The Torre Civica with Ghibelline crenellations stands next to it. The nearby Palazzo Comunale, the Town Hall, was designed by architect Ireneo Aleandri during the 19th century in Neoclassical style: it houses the historical theatre Teatro degli Angeli from 1884. The Chiesa di San Francesco was built in the middle of the 13th century and was later rebuilt in late-Baroque style. It houses several works from the 18th century. Above the high altar there is an important painting depicting the Madonna del latte by Antonio da Faenza (1525). This church is now used as auditorium. The public park, opposite the Convento di Santa Chiara, covers the area of the ancient keep, whose the crenellated tower is still visible. From here, you can enjoy a beautiful view towards the sea. The art gallery Pinacoteca Civica on the main floor of Palazzo del Podestà houses works of local painters and interesting testimonies of Gabriele Galantara. The Museo delle Arti e Mestieri antichi is set up in the basement of Palazzo Comunale and displays different pieces of equipment and tools used in farm work, clothes, pictures and documents concerning different activities such as weaving, wine production, civil life and school. Each object is also named in the local dialect.
Do not missNear the river Potenza, at four kilometres’ distance from the town centre, you find the Abbey of San Firmano, a Benedictine abbey that was founded in the 10th century and then rebuilt in 1256 following the Romanesque style. It has a simple double-sloped façade. Its portal is characterized by a beautiful lunette in the Byzantine style obtained using the back side of a Roman statue that is still partly visible upon entering the church. The interior is divided into a nave and two side aisles. A wide staircase leads to a very high presbytery below which there is a crypt which has five little aisles divided by pillars and columns of Roman origin. Here there are the relics of San Firmano and a polychrome earthenware statue by Ambrogio della Robbia (1526).
Comune di Montelupone
+39 0733 2249317/307
Piazza del Comune, 1