The town is situated at 354 m above sea level in a wide valley at the point where the stream Braccano flows into the river Esino. It was originally a centre of the ancient Piceni population, as evidenced by the recent discovery of a few necropolises. It then became a Roman municipium in the 1st century A.D.; by the 5th century it fell under the rule of the duke of Spoleto and then of the Ottoni family until 1578. It was an important centre of woolen cloth manufacturing. In the immediate postwar period many industrial activities sprang up, in particular in the packing and metalworking sectors. Its territory, thanks to its position and climate, is well known for the production of Verdicchio a white DOC class wine.
The visitThe main square is dedicated to Enrico Mattei, the founder of ENI, an important Italian oil and gas company (1953), who lived here. The square was built on top of the one of the Roman municipium first, and then that of the Medieval commune, when it was surrounded by the main public buildings of that period. The octagonal white stone fountain in the centre of the square was erected in 1619. Palazzo del Governo was built in 1271 and housed the Consuls and the Captain of the people. The nearby Torre civica was used also as a prison. In 1514 the Ottoni family had a loggia built to link the Torre civica to Palazzo del Governo. On the other side of the square there is Palazzo degli Ottoni from 1472 that today houses the library, the civic art gallery and the Town Hall, which was built during the 19th century. The Church of Suffragio has a very nice interior. It houses a painting representing the crucifix and souls in purgatory, attributed to Salvatore Rosa, and a wooden statue of Saint Sebastian that can be dated back to 1578. Not far from the square there is the cathedral, dedicated to Madonna dell'Assunta, which was rebuilt between the 19th and the 20th century. Its façade includes a bell-tower from 1474. Other important churches are those of San Filippo and Sant'Agostino. The Teatro Condominale, dedicated to Giuseppe Piermarini, the architect of Milan’s Teatro alla Scala, was erected between 1805 and 1812 following Piermarini's design. Rests of a Picene house and of a Roman thermal bath have been unearthed below the parterre and the stage area during the last restoration works. The Museo Piersanti houses precious works of arts, tapestries, paintings, ceramics, pieces of furniture and paintings of the Marchigiana School (15th-17th centuries) which were collected by bishop Filippo Piersanti, master of papal liturgical celebrations during the 17th century. The Museo Archeologico is housed in Palazzo Finaguerra which, in its finely decorated rooms, shows finds from the Iron Age to the Roman period until the Middle Ages. Particularly remarkable are some funerary sets from Piceni tombs and a beautiful marble spherical sundial with Greek inscriptions.
Do not missMatelica is well known for Verdicchio, a wine produced in the valley between Monte San Vicino to the east and Monti Sibillini to the south. It is a very good area for vineyards because of the exposure and the constant ventilation. Verdicchio is ideal with Adriatic fish dishes and with the local soft salami called ciauscolo.
Comune di Matelica
+39 0737 781811
Piazza Enrico Mattei,1