The Town Hall is in the hamlet Massa (479 m above sea level). All the hamlets that form this village are summer destinations for tourists who want to explore Umbrian-Marchean Apennines and one of their highest peak, Monte Pennino (1571 m above sea level). A few scattered pieces of earthenware, coals and arrow points unearthed here suggest the presence of human settlements since the Bronze Age or the end of the Neolithic Period. However the first documented human presence was the Roman statio (military post) that was located in the Valle del Frate, between Fiuminata and Nocera Umbra. The Roman road descended the valley until it reached Pioraco, where it crossed the Potenza river through the Mannone bridge that still exists. After the demise of the Roman Empire, the inhabitants of this area took refuge on the surrounding hills and founded new populated areas.
The visitThe southern side of the church of Santa Maria Assunta shows the church in its original 15th century form. The rest of the building was restored during the last century. Other interesting religious buildings are: the Church of San Paolo in Orpiano (15th-16th centuries), the Romitella in Campottone (14th century), dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel, the Church of Santa Maria in Laverino which displays a superb series of frescoes of the 14th-15th centuries and a Madonna con Bambino e Santi (16th century). There is also the Church of Santa Maria della Spina in Poggio: its name means “Saint Mary of the thorn” because, according to tradition, it was erected after an apparition of the Virgin to a deaf shepherdess by a thorny bush. The Church of San Giovanni Battista in Castello was built in the 19th century, but its façade belongs to a previous 14th century building. The church houses a wooden baptismal font of the 18th century. The Sanctuary of the Madonna in Valcora and its hermitage date back to the 14th century. The most interesting building in Fiuminata is the Rocca in the hamlet Spindoli: it was probably erected in the 14th century then abandoned in the 15th century. After that, it fell into ruin and its remains were used as building material. You can see other Medieval and Renaissance buildings in Poggio, Laverino, Campottone and most of all Castello. Palazzo Lori houses the Deposito dei Beni Culturali (that is the warehouse of Cultural Heritage) dedicated to local painter Diotallevi di Gentiluccio of the mid-14th century. It houses many works of art from local churches and other sacred objects.
Do not missFiuminata’s natural environment is the village’s best asset. There are many scenic areas: Monte Gemino (1250 m above sea level), a hang gliding departure point; Monte Pennino (1571 m above sea level); the flowery meadows in Le Spiante (1100 m above sea level) and Monte Merennino (950 m above sea level); the small lakes of the Stoni in Massa; the age-old woods and the river Potenza which has its source here.
Pro Loco Fiuminata