It is situated at 780 m above sea level and still preserves its Medieval structure. During the Middle Ages, the people who lived in this area decided to unite in order to defend themselves from outer attacks, and founded Castrum Sancti Angeli, putting their village under the protection of St. Michael the Archangel. It is sure that in the Middle Ages Castelsantangelo sul Nera was under the dominion of Castello of Norcia until 1255, when both of them were included into town of Visso. It was only in 1522 that Castelsantangelo was definitively free from Norcia’s dominion: the latter was defeated by Visso and Castelsantangelo in the battle of Pian Perduto. The village is composed of a main centre and six scattered hamlets: Gualdo, Macchie, Nocelleto, Rapegna and Vallinfante. Only in 1912 it obtained the administrative independence from Visso. The surrounding natural environment is particularly remarkable and rich in green areas; here there is the source of the river Nera.
The visitThe historical centre is surrounded by walls with five gates that still show their original decorations gates and a square tower that overlooks the whole village. The Church of San Sebastiano erected in 1528 houses some 18th century frescoes. The parish Church of San Stefano dates back to the 13th century and it is considered contemporary to the birth of the village. Its bell-tower is particularly remarkable; the stone baptismal font in the church interior dates back to the 11th century. The Romanesque Church of San Martino houses some 15th-16th century frescoes of Umbrian school. Passing through the double arch of Porta Norcina, you can reach the Monastero di San Liberatore of the 11th century. A group of Benedictine nuns lived here in the past, but since 1958 the nuns of Nostro Signore della Provvidenza have been living here. The Chapel is rich in frescoes: in the apse you can see one representing Christ with St. Benedict and the Madonna and an 17th Annunciazione attributed to Paolo da Visso and to his painting school (1474-1476). There is also a 17th century painted wood tabernacle. Interesting churches can also be found in the hamlet: among them the Church di Santa Maria Castellara that was erected in 1362 in the hamlet Nocelleto. Over the centuries, the church was enriched with important works of art such as a richly decorated polyptych that is considered one of the best works by Paolo da Visso. It is now kept in the Museo-Pinacoteca of Visso. The Visitors' Centre of the Sibillini Mountains National Park shows the different ecosystems that characterize this territory. The Fauna Centre consists of a wide fenced area (about 29 hectares) south of Monte Carnaccione where, in other smaller fenced areas, various species of animals can live in semi-liberty. The aim is to allow scientific, didactic, educational activities and raising awareness on environmental issues.
Do not missThe village falls within the territory of the Sibillini Mountains National Park and is therefore the starting point of many excursions (trekking, walking, mountain biking and horse riding). The whole territory is of striking beauty, especially the plateau of Pian Perduto (1476 m above sea level), Forca di Gualdo (1469 m above sea level) and Fonte del Lupo (1775 m above sea level).
Casa del Parco di Castelsantangelo sul Nera
+39 0737 98152
c/o Ecocentro “Il Cervo” - Via del Parco della Rimembranza