The town is at 335 meters above the sea level, it has about 600 inhabitants and a surface of 8,83 square kilometers. It is crossed by the Fiastrone river, from which it take its name, and still preserves the ancient castle walls and the “Portarella” (a gate) of the 14th century, while a second gate is partially visible as buried under the road in front of the desecrated church of Concezione (Conception). In the main square, Piazza San Marco (Saint Mark square), there is the new town hall, before which you can find the mould church. The first information about the castrum (urban area surrounded by walls that usually means “castle”) is that was built in 1147, but we know other references of 1166, 1195 and 1198. In the surrounding area towards Cessapalombo – Caldarola and going to Belforte, just before the year 1000, the properties used to belong, respectively, to the monasteries of San Clemente di Clausura ( Saint Clement of Seclusion) in Pescara and of Farfa in Rieti. We do not know anything about Camporotondo, but is more likely that bishop of Camerino wanted to form this town, together with the villages all around the current castle. Camporotondo di Firastrone gave birth to the writer and poet Tullio Consalvatico (his legal name is Tullio Pascucci) and to the well-known actor Cesare Bocci.
The visitA visit to Camporotondo has include a walk through the old town, with its evocative streets and along the town walls, enjoying a complete view of the Marche region hills and of the Sibillini Mounts. Inside the old town you can visit the medieval cistern, situated in Piazza San Marco, the Portarella, built on the 14th-15th centuries, which was the secondary entrance of the ancient castle walls with traces of the drawbridge and the San Marco mould church. Outside the walls, surrounded by the typical Marche region hills, there are other places to visit:: i) the Coflano Convent that, according to tradition, was founded by Saint Francis during one of his travels across the Marche region, near the source that now flows beneath the convent itself. Inside the Convent there is the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francis curch) with an altarpiece of the Vergine della Devozione (Virgin of Devotion) by Nobilis De Luco (oil on panel, 1490); ii) S. Maria di Carufo church that, inside, has a painting of the Virgin dating back to 1299 and frescoes of the 16th century with scenes of the Old and New Testament. Visiting Camporotondo can also mean riding a horse, a bicycle and practicing sport activities like fishing along the Fiastrone river (Cat. A).
Do not missThe most important element and work of art of the town: the Portarella (built during the 14th-15th centuries).
Comune di Camporotondo di Fiastrone
+39 0733 907153
Piazza San Marco - 62020