Set in the mountainous area of the Macerata Province, Camerino lies on a hill at 670 m above sea level and overlooks the valleys of the rivers Chienti and Potenza. Camerino has Umbrian origins, was a Roman municipium, and by the year 468 it had become the bishop's seat. It was part of the Lombard Duchy of Spoleto and then a Medieval commune. From a political, social and cultural point of view its most important period was that of Da Varano's domination, from the second half of the 13th century to the mid-16th century. The town is also known for the painting school that flourished here in the 15th century and it is the seat of one of Italy’s most prestigious universities. In 2009 the town was awarded the “Orange Flag” seal of quality by Touring Club Italiano.
The visitJust outside the centre, there is the Church of San Venanzio, patron saint of the town, that was destroyed by an earthquake in 1799 and then rebuilt. What remains of the previous building is the bell-tower and the façade with its beautiful portal. The Palazzo Ducale and the Duomo rise on Piazza Cavour, with a statue of Pope Sixtus V in its centre (1587). The Palazzo Ducale was the Da Varano family residence and was built in the 13th century and then expanded several times. The lovely porticoed courtyard dates back to the 15th century and from a balcony it is possible to see the Botanical Garden of the University of Camerino and admire the beautiful panorama of the valley below towards the Sibillini Mountains. Today the Palazzo Ducale houses the University of Camerino, which was founded in 1727. The Duomo was built at the beginning of the 19th century on the remains of another church that was destroyed during an earthquake in 1799. Its interior is majestic; in the crypt there are still some architectural elements of the previous church and the 12th century Gothic tomb of Saint Ansovinus, Camerino’s bishop. Passing through the Town Hall courtyard it is possible to reach the Theatre Filippo Marchetti of the 19th century. The ruins of a Roman building were recently found under the stage. The late Baroque Church of San Filippo houses a canvas by Giambattista Tiepolo representing Madonna in Gloria con San Filippo (1739-40). In the Church of Santa Maria in Via, an important example of Baroque architecture, it is possible to see a Madonna con Bambino that was probably brought here by some local crusaders. In the southwestern part of the town you can find the Rocca Borgesca from the period of the Borgia family’s domination (1502-03). Only two towers and a large keep remain of the Rocca, from which it is possible to admire a beautiful view of the Sibillini Mountains. The Rocca Da Varano, in the hamlet Sfercia, overlooks the valley below and is an important testimony from the Da Varano period.
Do not missThe Convent of San Domenico houses the Art Gallery, the Civic Museums and the University Museums. The archaeological section shows finds from the Paleolithic age to the Roman period: mosaics, fresco fragments, funeral and civic inscriptions, coins, Greek and Italic vases. The Art Gallery collects works of art by local painters, among which the magnificent Annunciazione by Giovanni Angelo d'Antonio, the most important work from the 15th century. The Palazzo Arcivescovile houses the Museo Diocesano “Giacomo Boccanera” with a rich collection of paintings, sculptures, sacred objects and pieces of furniture from nearby churches. The Museum housed in the Convent of the Capuchins in Renacavata is also very interesting: it is a collection of old objects and handcrafted products of the Franciscan order.
Iat – Ufficio Turistico Pro Camerino
+39 0737 632534
Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 21